20 June 2011

Arthurian miniatures from different manufacturers comparism shot


There are plenty of opportunities if you want to play Arthurians. When I started my project I gave the 5 manufacturers a try listed in the pic above. Sizewise they work together very well, except the Foundry mini which is shorter and not so bulky.
A short overview:

Black Tree: The Late Romans are some of their nicest minis. They aren´t very detailed and not very well casted. But they paint up easy and look good then!

Musketeer: I loved Bill T´s sculpting style from the start. Here you can plunder the new Late Roman, the Saxons and Goth ranges. They fit my painting style, my favourites so far- the only reason I didn´t buy the Late Romans is that I ran out of money this month...

Gripping Beast: Again a vast number of useable miniatures in their programm. They´ve got all the characters from the novels, even Wolftail warriors. Their faces are great, but some poses are a bit weird.

Foundry: The smallest, most expensive in this line up - but also the most beautiful with all their crisp detail and very good poses. You can use the Late Roman range too.

Westwind: Some cool vignettes and character packs. Unfortunatly I don´t like their seperate head system, and the shields are too small for my taste. I use the musketeer ones with them.

There are other manufacturers like Artizan but I didn´t try them, I already got to much in my lead mountain. Hope that helps a bit if you´re interested in gaming this period.

4 comments:

  1. Great comparison and a wonderful looking one thanks to your paint jobs!
    My project list prevents me from starting this just yet, but I will for sure. I also will mix Musketeer,GB and Foundry as I like variety, but like you I favour Musketeer the most.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. That comparison is very valuable indeed. Before I risked buying some Foundry miniatures, I would have like to see a picture like that. Still, I was also quite pleasantly surprised that they go well together. Maybe raising them a bit on the base can help as well.

    The Westwind go really well with the rest as well. I thought they'd be massive. I don't like many of their packs, but one maybe and their heads can be a good resource for conversions.

    But I agree with both of you... Bill is the Dark Age Master!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a very usefull comparison. Good to have then I expend my Romano British army some times in the future...

    Best regards Dalauppror

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just finished the audio book of the Warlord trilogy, and I find the whole genre really inspiring. Stumbling on to your blog was a timely coincidence.

    You've done some great work and this pic is incredibly useful.

    ReplyDelete